"Where Do Babies Come From?" is an unreleased song written by Melanie Martinez. It was originally intended to be featured as a bonus track on her debut album, Cry Baby, however, it was later removed.
- July 6th, 2014 - Melanie released two snippets of the song on her Instagram.
- July 26th, 2014 - Melanie's father, Jose Martinez released a snippet on his Instagram.
- December 4th, 2017 - A low-quality 10-second snippet leaked on Picosong.
- August 9th, 2018 - Various short snippets are leaked on PopHatesFlops. A shorter high-quality version of the previous snippet is also leaked.
- April 15th, 2020 - A high-quality 21-second snippet is leaked on Dbree.
Melanie released snippets of this song in July of 2014 on her Instagram, showcasing two 15-second clips in an attempt to get fans' approval on whether the song should be featured on the album. The feedback was largely positive, however, despite the response among fans, the song did not make the cut for the album.
On June 1st, Melanie confirmed on her Periscope that the song would not be featured on her first studio album. Her father, Jose Martinez, posted an additional 15-second clip on his official Instagram (@jmartinezmtp) on July 26th, stating that it did not make it on the album, but that it is "a great song".
In July of 2015, Melanie answered a question on her Tumblr page regarding the song's future, stating, "it's a possibility there will be a purpose for the song someday, but it is staying off the internet until further notice".
The song is presumably about teenagers getting pregnant before they're ready to become parents. From the snippets that have been released, it describes a child (implied to be Cry Baby) begging her mother for an explanation as to "where babies come from", wondering if it is as magical and happy as it seems to be. The mother responds in a brutally honest tone, telling her that they come from "girls who grow up too fast" and from boys who are "lazy".
This can symbolize a reference to the fact that many children in modern-day society are getting pregnant before they are ready to be parents, and the fathers of these new-born children are too young and don't help the mother when raising said child.
Where do babies come from?
Do they come from rainbows and love?
Mommy, mommy, tell me please
Where do babies come from, really?
They come from boys who want to sit on their ass
They come from girls who like to grow up too fast
They come from screaming, fighting, make-up sex
[...] nothing left
Here comes delivery day
Baby headed my way
Daddy magically appears
It's my mom's greatest fears
Here comes delivery day
What a lovely little mess I've made
I throw milk on the walls in rage
Oh I'm trying to just forget the pain
- This song is not featured on Melanie's first studio album, Cry Baby, because she believes that "the rest of the songs are of higher standards, quality, and fit the theme better".
- The song is probably not going to be released anytime soon because Melanie thinks that "there are better songs than this one".
- Melanie has stated that this song is very personal to her.
- ↑ https://theknockturnal.com/an-exclusive-interview-with-melanie-martinez/
- ↑ https://dbree.org/v/82e408
- ↑ http://melaniemartinezmusic.tumblr.com/post/125200854968/answer-at-least-one-question-about-where-do-babies
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzVa6rFctTU
|Leaked Songs|| |
|Unleaked Songs|| |
|Partially Leaked Songs|| |
|Lost Songs|| |