|You are reading the page dedicated to the album. You may have been wanting to read about the film of the same name.|
"K-12" is the sophomore album and second major-label record by Melanie Martinez. It was released on September 6, 2019 by Atlantic Records through digital download, CD, cassette and vinyl. The album debuted at #3 on the Billboard 200 albums chart with 57,000 total copies sold in its first week.
Melanie embarked on the K-12 Tour beginning October 13, 2019 and ending December 17, 2019 in support of the album. The second leg of the tour began on January 21, 2020 and ended on February 17, 2020. The third leg, titled the K-12 Summer Tour, was set to begin on June 3, 2020 and end on July 26, 2020; however, Melanie announced in an Instagram story on May 14, 2020 that the entire summer tour was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Background and Promotion
Melanie began recording the album in 2015 and finished in 2017. It was originally set to be released in the fall of 2017, then got postponed to January of 2018. However, it was later pushed back to early 2019, but got pushed back further to fall that year. It was officially released on September 6, 2019. The standard version of the album has a total of 13 songs. Each track represents a different grade level from Kindergarten through 12th grade.
In an interview with V Magazine, Melanie confirmed that a deluxe version will likely be available in 2020. It was later revealed on January 8, 2020 via Melanie's Instagram story that the deluxe version would be released in the format of an extended play titled After School.
On April 13, 2016 and May 17, 2016, Melanie posted two photos on Instagram with lyrics on both captions, revealing two songs that will be on the second album. Those songs were later revealed to be High School Sweethearts and Lunchbox Friends.
On May 15, 2019, a teaser trailer for the film was released, revealing that the official title of the film was "K-12". Melanie revealed the new layout of her website on the same day and a low-quality version of the album cover leaked through the site's source code. The next day, on May 16, 2019, Melanie officially unveiled the album cover on all social media platforms, revealing that the album is also titled "K-12".
On May 22, 2019, a second teaser trailer for the film was released. A third teaser was released on May 29, 2019 along with the album and film's release date. On June 17, 2019, a preview featuring clips of the movie and a snippet of a new song, later revealed to be Nurse's Office, was premiered at the MTV Movie Awards. Melanie began promoting the album with assignments on June 24, 2019.
On July 23, 2019, the film's official trailer was released, along with the album tracklist and pre-order. The K-12 Tour was announced on July 29, 2019. Fans who pre-ordered the album up until August 5 gained early access to tickets.
Beginning in September 2019, Melanie promoted the album by having the pink school bus from the film drive around the world, stopping at various locations to sell exclusive merchandise. The second leg of the K-12 Tour was announced on September 20, 2019, with tickets going on sale a week later.
On January 10, 2020, Melanie started a TikTok challenge for fans to show their best "handshake dance" in order to promote Lunchbox Friends as a single.
The album is set in Cry Baby's school and is told from her perspective. According to Melanie, it is Cry Baby stepping outside of her family life and love life and acting like a narrator for the album.
Cry Baby introduces new characters, however, she does appear on the album at some point. According to Melanie, "You're not learning about her, you're learning about the place that she's in and her perspective".
- Cry Baby
- Ghost Girl
- Ms. Harper
- Ms. Penelope
- The Principal
- Miss Daphne
- Mr. Cornwell
- Detention Teacher
- K-12 Sleepaway School
- Bathrooms (featured in Orange Juice)
- Cafeteria (featured in Lunchbox Friends and Orange Juice's prelude)
- Gymnasium (featured in Recess)
- Changing Rooms (featured in Strawberry Shortcake)
- Swimming Pool (featured in Strawberry Shortcake)
- Drama Classroom/Theater (featured in Drama Club)
- Nurse's Office (featured in Nurse's Office)
- Playground (featured in Class Fight)
- Principal's Office (featured in The Principal, Drama Club, Detention, and Recess)
- Science Classroom (featured in Teacher's Pet)
- Ms. Daphne's Classroom (featured in Class Fight's prelude)
- Ms. Penelope's Classroom (featured in Show & Tell)
- Tennis Court (featured in Strawberry Shortcake's prelude)
- Detention Room (featured in Detention)
There are 13 tracks on the CD. It is currently unknown how many songs she recorded for this album. The songs on the album tell a story in chronological order.
There is both an explicit version of the album and a clean version.
- "*" = a song that has both explicit and clean versions.
|1.||"Wheels on the Bus"*||Melanie Martinez, Michael Keenan, Emily Warren||Keenan||3:40|
|2.||"Class Fight"*||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||2:41|
|3.||"The Principal"*||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||2:56|
|4.||"Show & Tell"*||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||3:35|
|5.||"Nurse's Office"*||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||3:22|
|6.||"Drama Club"*||Martinez, Jeremy Dussolliett, Tim Sommers||One Love||3:45|
|7.||"Strawberry Shortcake"*||Martinez, Keenan, Warren||Keenan||3:04|
|8.||"Lunchbox Friends"*||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||2:49|
|9.||"Orange Juice"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||3:37|
|11.||"Teacher's Pet"*||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||4:01|
|12.||"High School Sweethearts"*||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||5:11|
|13.||"Recess"*||Martinez, Keenan, Warren||Keenan||3:50|
|15.||"Test Me"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||2:55|
|16.||"Brain & Heart"||Martinez, Keenan, Fred Jerkins III, Jennifer Lopez, LaShawn Daniels, Mark Rooney, Rodney Jerkins||Keenan||3:24|
|19.||"Field Trip"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||3:01|
|20.||"The Bakery"||Martinez, Blake Slatkin||Slatkin||2:33|
Bold typing indicates that the song, snippets of the song, or lyrics have been leaked/posted/performed at some point.
Underlined typing indicates that the song has been released.
Italic typing indicates the song's full studio version has been leaked.
Assignments were a method that Melanie Martinez used to promote her sophomore album, K-12. They were released in specific areas around the world and showcased a snippet of a song from the album. There are 13 released assignments in total.
|Title||Release & Location||Length|
|Lunchbox Friends||New York City, New York, USA - June 24, 2019||0:20|
|The Principal||London, England, UK - July 2, 2019||0:20|
|Detention||Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, Brazil - July 9, 2019||0:21|
|Recess||Los Angeles, California, USA - July 16, 2019||0:20|
|High School Sweethearts||Buenos Aires, Argentina - July 22, 2019||0:22|
|Wheels on the Bus||Chicago, Illinois, USA - August 1, 2019||0:22|
|Class Fight||New Zealand and Australia - August 8, 2019||0:22|
|Teacher's Pet||Atlanta, Georgia and Houston/Dallas, Texas, USA - August 15, 2019||0:20|
|Show & Tell||Canada and Mexico - August 19, 2019||0:17|
|Drama Club||South Korea and the Philippines - August 24, 2019||0:21|
|Nurse's Office||Germany - August 28, 2019||0:19|
|Orange Juice||The Netherlands, Russia, and Turkey - September 2, 2019||0:21|
|Strawberry Shortcake||France and Italy - September 4, 2019||0:19|
|No.||Title||Release Date of Music Video||Length of Music Video|
|1.||Wheels on the Bus||October 10, 2019||3:55|
|2.||Class Fight||October 17, 2019||3:32|
|3.||The Principal||October 24, 2019||3:00|
|4.||Show & Tell||October 3, 2019||3:53|
|5.||Nurse's Office||November 7, 2019||3:00|
|6.||Drama Club||November 21, 2019||3:44|
|7.||Strawberry Shortcake||December 12, 2019||3:03|
|8.||Lunchbox Friends||January 10, 2020||2:40|
|9.||Orange Juice||February 3, 2020||3:25|
|10.||Detention||February 4, 2020||4:06|
|11.||Teacher's Pet||February 5, 2020||3:58|
|12.||High School Sweethearts||February 6, 2020||5:14|
|13.||Recess||February 7, 2020||3:24|
On May 29, 2019, Melanie did a Q&A regarding the album and film on her Instagram story. Questions about the album can be found below.
- K-12 is Melanie's second visual album.
- The longest song on K-12 is High School Sweethearts, at 5 minutes and 11 seconds, while the shortest song is Class Fight, lasting for 2 minutes and 41 seconds.
- Nurse's Office and Orange Juice are the only two songs on the album that are not considered explicit.
- Although Nurse's Office contains profanity and has a clean version, it is not officially listed as explicit on the regular version of the album.
- Michael Keenan confirmed that the album was completed on January 24, 2018.
- Melanie's favorite song on the album is Nurse's Office.
- The album 'K-12 (After School - Deluxe Edition)' recently surpassed 700 million streams on Spotify.
- Fans speculated that it was possible that Melanie would release a perfume to accompany this album, as she stated during the Cry Baby Perfume Milk Live Event that she wanted each album to have its own perfume. In an interview with Black Book, she stated she was working on another perfume. In a later Zoom interview with fans, she stated that K-12 would be receiving its own perfume.
- Melanie released a deluxe version of K-12 on September 25, 2020
- This version of K-12 includes the songs from the After School EP
- As seen in some copyright claims, the album is going to have its own deluxe Japanese version.
- The official instrumentals for all the songs on the standard edition and deluxe edition of the album have been leaked.
- This is the first album of Melanie's that has a deluxe edition with an EP in it.
- In the booklet that came out with physical copies of K-12, High School Sweethearts was misspelled as "High School Sweathearts".
- The spelling error has since been fixed in newly printed versions of the booklet.
- Strawberry Shortcake had the biggest debut on Spotify, having an estimation of 659k-679k streams.
- The album debuted on Spotify with 6.6 million streams.
- The album debuted at #33 on Spotify US Album Charts and #40 on Spotify Weekly Album Charts.
- This album and After School are listed on streaming services as K-12 (After School - Deluxe Edition)
- The album lasted 18 weeks on Billboard 200.
- "Wheels on the Bus" samples a children's song "The Wheels on the Bus" written by Verna Hills.
- "Brain & Heart" contains an interpolation of "If You Had My Love" by Jennifer Lopez.
- As of December 2, 2020, the official audio for Drama Club is no longer on Melanie's official YouTube channel. It is possible at one point that she set it as "unlisted".
- However, as of April 27, 2021, the official audio is back on Melanie's official YouTube channel, however, the comments are turned off for an unknown reason.
- This album has around 3 outtakes, referring to, "Papercut", "Glue Stick", and "Eraser".
|Featured Tracks||Wheels on the Bus • Class Fight • The Principal • Show & Tell • Nurse's Office • Drama Club • Strawberry Shortcake • Lunchbox Friends • Orange Juice • Detention • Teacher's Pet • High School Sweethearts • Recess|
|Credit Track||Fire Drill|
|Characters||Cry Baby • Angelita • Fleur • Celeste • Magnolia • Leo • Ben • Kelly • Blue Boy • Brandon • Bunny Doctor • Dean • Lucy • Ms. Daphne • Mr. Cornwell • Ms. Harper • Ms. Penelope • Miss Victoria • The Principal • Lilith • Biology Teacher • Phillipe|
|Extras||Film • Merchandise • Assignments • Removed Songs|
|Locations||K-12 Sleepaway School • Cry Baby's House|