|You are reading the page dedicated to the album. You may have been wanting to read about the film of the same name.|
"K-12" is the sophomore album and second major-label record by Melanie Martinez. It was released on September 6th, 2019 by Atlantic Records through digital download, CD, cassette and vinyl. The album debuted at #3 on the Billboard 200 albums chart with 57,000 total copies sold in its first week.
Melanie embarked on the K-12 Tour beginning in October of 2019 in support of the album. The second leg began in January of 2020 and ended in February of 2020. The third leg, titled the K-12 Summer Tour, was set to begin in June of 2020 and end in July of 2020, but it was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Background and Promotion
Melanie began recording the album in 2015 and finished in 2017. It was originally set to be released in the fall of 2017 and then January of 2018. However, it was later pushed back to early 2019. It was officially released on September 6th, 2019. The standard version of the album has a total of 13 songs.
In an interview with V Magazine, Melanie confirmed that a deluxe version will likely be available in 2020. It was later revealed on January 8th, 2020 via Melanie's Instagram story that the deluxe version would be released in the format of an extended play (EP) titled After School.
On April 13th, 2016, and May 17th, 2016, Melanie posted two photos on Instagram with lyrics on both captions, revealing two songs that will be on the second album, which were both later revealed to be Lunchbox Friends and High School Sweethearts.
On May 15th, 2019, a teaser trailer for the film was released, revealing that the official title of the film was "K-12". She revealed the new layout of her website on the same day and a low-quality version of the album cover leaked through the site's source code. The next day, she officially unveiled the album cover on all social media platforms, revealing that the album is also titled "K-12".
On May 22nd, 2019, a second teaser trailer for the film was released. A third teaser was released along with the album and film's release date on May 29th, 2019. On June 17th, 2019, a preview featuring clips of the movie and a snippet of a new song, later revealed to be Nurse's Office, was premiered at the MTV Movie Awards. Melanie began promoting the album with assignments on June 24th, 2019.
On July 23rd, 2019, the film's official trailer was released, along with the album tracklist and pre-order. The K-12 Tour was announced on July 29th, 2019. Fans who pre-ordered the album up until August 5th gained early access to tickets.
Beginning in September of 2019, Melanie promoted the album by having the pink school bus from the film drive around the world, stopping at various locations to sell exclusive merchandise. The second leg of the K-12 Tour was announced on September 20th, 2019, with tickets to go on sale exactly a week later.
On January 10th, 2020, Melanie started a TikTok challenge for fans to show their best "best handshake dance" in order to promote Lunchbox Friends as a single.
The album is set in Cry Baby's school and is told from her perspective. According to Melanie, it is Cry Baby stepping outside of her family life and love life and acting like a narrator for the album.
Cry Baby introduces new characters, however, she does appear on the album at some point. According to Melanie, "You're not learning about her, you're learning about the place that she's in and her perspective".
- Cry Baby
- Ghost Girl
- Ms. Harper
- Ms. Penelope
- The Principal
- Miss Daphne
- Mr. Cornwell
- Detention Teacher
- K-12 Sleepaway School
- Bathrooms (featured in Orange Juice)
- Cafeteria (featured in Lunchbox Friends and Orange Juice's prelude)
- Changing Rooms (featured in Strawberry Shortcake)
- Swimming Pool (featured in Strawberry Shortcake)
- Drama Classroom/Theater (featured in Drama Club)
- Nurse's Office (featured in Nurse's Office)
- Playground (featured in Class Fight)
- Principal's Office (featured in The Principal, Detention, Recess, and Drama Club)
- Science Classroom (featured in Teacher's Pet)
- Ms. Daphne's Classroom (featured in Class Fight's prelude)
- Ms. Penelope's Classroom (featured in Show & Tell)
- Tennis Court (featured in Strawberry Shortcake's prelude)
- Detention Room (featured in Detention)
There are 13 tracks on the CD. It is currently unknown how many songs she recorded for this album. The songs on the album tell a story in chronological order.
There is both an explicit version of the album and a clean version.
- "*" = a song that has both explicit and clean versions.
|1.||"Wheels on the Bus"*||Melanie Martinez, Michael Keenan, Emily Warren||Keenan||3:40|
|2.||"Class Fight"*||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||2:41|
|3.||"The Principal"*||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||2:56|
|4.||"Show & Tell"*||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||3:35|
|5.||"Nurse's Office"*||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||3:22|
|6.||"Drama Club"*||Martinez, Jeremy Dussolliett, Tim Sommers||One Love||3:45|
|7.||"Strawberry Shortcake"*||Martinez, Keenan, Warren||Keenan||3:04|
|8.||"Lunchbox Friends"*||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||2:49|
|9.||"Orange Juice"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||3:37|
|11.||"Teacher's Pet"*||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||4:01|
|12.||"High School Sweethearts"*||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||5:11|
|13.||"Recess"*||Martinez, Keenan, Warren||Keenan||3:50|
|15.||"Test Me"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||2:55|
|16.||"Brain & Heart"||Martinez, Keenan, Fred Jerkins III, Jennifer Lopez, LaShawn Daniels, Mark Rooney, Rodney Jerkins||Keenan||3:24|
|19.||"Field Trip"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||3:01|
|20.||"The Bakery"||Martinez, Blake Slatkin||Slatkin||2:33|
Bold typing indicates that the song, snippets of the song, or lyrics have been leaked/posted/performed at some point.
Underlined typing indicates that the song's full studio version has been released as a stand-alone single.
Assignments were a method that Melanie Martinez used to promote her sophomore album, K-12. They were released in specific areas around the world and showcased a snippet of a song from the album. There are 13 released assignments in total.
|Title||Release & Location||Length|
|Lunchbox Friends||New York City, New York, USA - June 24th, 2019||0:20|
|The Principal||London, England, UK - July 2nd, 2019||0:20|
|Detention||Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, Brazil - July 9th, 2019||0:21|
|Recess||Los Angeles, California, USA - July 16th, 2019||0:20|
|High School Sweethearts||Buenos Aires, Argentina - July 22nd, 2019||0:22|
|Wheels on the Bus||Chicago, Illinois, USA - August 1st, 2019||0:22|
|Class Fight||New Zealand and Australia - August 8th, 2019||0:22|
|Teacher's Pet||Atlanta, Georgia and Houston/Dallas, Texas, USA - August 15th, 2019||0:20|
|Show & Tell||Canada and Mexico - August 19th, 2019||0:17|
|Drama Club||South Korea and the Philippines - August 24th, 2019||0:21|
|Nurse's Office||Germany - August 28th, 2019||0:19|
|Orange Juice||The Netherlands, Russia, and Turkey - September 2nd, 2019||0:21|
|Strawberry Shortcake||France and Italy - September 4th, 2019||0:19|
|No.||Title||Release Date of Music Video||Length of Music Video|
|1.||Wheels on the Bus||October 10th, 2019||3:55|
|2.||Class Fight||October 17th, 2019||3:32|
|3.||The Principal||October 24th, 2019||3:00|
|4.||Show & Tell||October 3rd, 2019||3:53|
|5.||Nurse's Office||November 7th, 2019||3:00|
|6.||Drama Club||November 21st, 2019||3:44|
|7.||Strawberry Shortcake||December 12th, 2019||3:03|
|8.||Lunchbox Friends||January 10th, 2020||2:40|
|9.||Orange Juice||February 3rd, 2020||3:25|
|10.||Detention||February 4th, 2020||4:06|
|11.||Teacher's Pet||February 5th, 2020||3:58|
|12.||High School Sweethearts||February 6th, 2020||5:14|
|13.||Recess||February 7th, 2020||3:24|
On May 29th, 2019, Melanie did a Q&A regarding the album and film on her Instagram story. Questions about the album can be found below.
- This is Melanie's second visual album.
- High School Sweethearts is the longest song in this album, with the song length at 5 minutes and 11 seconds and Class Fight is the shortest song on the album, lasting for 2 minutes and 41 seconds.
- Nurse's Office and Orange Juice are the only two songs on the album that are not considered explicit.
- Although Nurse's Office contains profanity and has a clean version, it is not officially listed as explicit on the regular version of the album.
- Michael Keenan confirmed that the album was completed on January 24th, 2018.
- Melanie's favorite song on the album is Nurse's Office.
- The album has surpassed 500 million streams on Spotify.
- Fans speculated that it was possible that Melanie would release a perfume to accompany this album, as she stated during the Cry Baby Perfume Milk Live Event that she wanted each album to have its own perfume. In an interview with Black Book, she stated she was working on another perfume. In a later Zoom interview with fans, she stated that K-12 would be receiving its own perfume.
- As seen in some copyright claims, the album is going to have its own deluxe Japanese version.
- The official instrumentals for all the songs on the standard edition of the album have been leaked.
- This is the first album of Melanie's that has a deluxe edition with an EP in it.
- Strawberry Shortcake had the biggest debut on Spotify, having an estimation of 659k-679k streams.
- The album debuted on Spotify with 6.6 million streams.
- The album debuted at #33 on Spotify US Album Charts and #40 on Spotify Weekly Album Charts.
- This album and After School are listed on streaming services as K-12 (After School - Deluxe Edition).
|Featured Tracks||Wheels on the Bus • Class Fight • The Principal • Show & Tell • Nurse's Office • Drama Club • Strawberry Shortcake • Lunchbox Friends • Orange Juice • Detention • Teacher's Pet • High School Sweethearts • Recess|
|Credit Track||Fire Drill|
|Characters||Cry Baby • Angelita • Fleur • Celeste • Magnolia • Leo • Ben • Kelly • Blue Boy • Brandon • Bunny Doctor • Dean • Lucy • Ms. Daphne • Mr. Cornwell • Ms. Harper • Ms. Penelope • Miss Victoria • The Principal • Lilith • Biology Teacher • Phillipé|
|Extras||Film • Merchandise • Assignments|
|Locations||K-12 Sleepaway School • Cry Baby's House|