|You are reading the page dedicated to the album. You may have been wanting to read about the film of the same name.|
"K-12" is the upcoming sophomore album and second major-label record by Melanie Martinez. Melanie began working on the album in 2015 and finished it in early 2017. It is set to be released on September 6th, 2019.
Melanie will embark on the K-12 Tour beginning in October of 2019 in support of the album.
Martinez began recording the album in 2015 and finished in 2017. It was originally set to be released in the fall of 2017 and then January of 2018. However, it was later pushed back to early 2019. The standard version of the album is set to have a total of 13 songs.
On April 13th, 2016, and May 17th, 2016, Melanie posted two photos on Instagram with lyrics on both captions, revealing two songs that will be on the second album. One of which was later revealed to be Lunchbox Friends.
On May 15th, 2019, a teaser trailer for the film was released, revealing that the official title of the film was "K-12". She revealed the new layout of her website on the same day and a low-quality version of the album cover leaked through the site's source code. The next day, she officially unveiled the album cover on all social media platforms, revealing that the album is also titled "K-12".
On May 22nd, 2019, a second teaser trailer for the film was released. A third teaser was released along with the album and film's release date on May 29th, 2019. On June 17th, 2019, a preview featuring clips of the movie and a snippet of a new song, later revealed to be Nurse's Office, was premiered at the MTV Movie Awards. Melanie began promoting the album with assignments on June 24th, 2019.
On July 23rd, 2019, the film's official trailer was released, along with the album tracklist and pre-order. The K-12 Tour was announced on July 29th, 2019. Fans who pre-ordered the album up until August 5th gained early access to tickets.
The album will be set in Cry Baby's school and will be told from her perspective. According to Melanie, it will be Cry Baby stepping outside of her family life and love life and acting like a narrator for the album.
Cry Baby will be introducing new characters, but she should appear on the album at some point. According to Melanie, "You’re not learning about her, you’re learning about the place that she’s in and her perspective".
- Cry Baby
- Alphabet Boy
- Blue Boy
- Brandon / Strawberry Boy
- Miss Daphne
- Mr. Cornwell
- The Principal
- K-12 Sleepaway School
- Drama Classroom
- Nurse's Office
- Principal's Office
- Tennis Court
Bold typing indicates that the full song has been leaked before its release.
Italic typing indicates that a snippet of the song has been officially released.
|1.||"Wheels on the Bus"||Melanie Martinez, Michael Keenan, Emily Warren||Keenan||3:40|
|2.||"Class Fight"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||2:41|
|3.||"The Principal"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||2:56|
|4.||"Show & Tell"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||3:35|
|5.||"Nurse's Office"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||3:22|
|6.||"Drama Club"||Martinez||Kinetics & One Love||3:45|
|7.||"Strawberry Shortcake"||Martinez, Keenan, Warren||Keenan||3:04|
|8.||"Lunchbox Friends"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||2:49|
|9.||"Orange Juice"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||3:37|
|11.||"Teacher's Pet"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||4:01|
|12.||"High School Sweethearts"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||5:11|
Bold typing indicates that the full song has been leaked.
Assignments are a method that Melanie Martinez is using to promote her sophomore album, K-12. They are released in specific areas around the world and showcase a snippet of a song from the album. There are currently 10 released assignments.
|Title||Release & Location||Length|
|Lunchbox Friends||New York City, New York, USA - June 24th, 2019||0:20|
|The Principal||London, England, UK - July 2nd, 2019||0:20|
|Detention||Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, Brazil - July 9th, 2019||0:21|
|Recess||Los Angeles, California, USA - July 16th, 2019||0:20|
|High School Sweethearts||Buenos Aires, Argentina - July 22nd, 2019||0:22|
|Wheels on the Bus||Chicago, Illinois, USA - August 1st, 2019||0:22|
|Class Fight||New Zealand and Australia - August 8th, 2019||0:22|
|Teacher's Pet||Atlanta, Georgia and Houston/Dallas, Texas, USA - August 15th, 2019||0:20|
|Show & Tell||Canada and Mexico - August 19th, 2019||0:17|
|Drama Club||South Korea and the Philippines - August 24th, 2019||0:21|
On May 29th, 2019, Melanie did a Q&A regarding the album and film on her Instagram story. Questions about the album can be found below.
- This will be Melanie's second visual album.
- Melanie confirmed that none of her unreleased songs would be on her next studio album because the album "has too specific of a theme".
- Melanie said on Instagram that this album has a completely different style of music from Cry Baby.
- Melanie stated in an interview the album will be more hip-hop-like than her other music.
- Melanie has also stated that she will be experimenting with vintage squeak toys.
- Melanie told a fan that this album will be much darker than her previous album.
- There will be no singles released before the album.
- Melanie has talked about several of the songs within interviews.
- She once mentioned that it is possible something good finally happens to Cry Baby.
- There might also be a song flashing back to Tag, You're It.
- There will be a song about friends in school that didn't actually want a close connection at all.
- There is a possibility that this song is Lunchbox Friends, due to the lyrics shown within the snippet.
- There will be a song about how your mental health is important to maintain.
- Melanie once responded to a fan on Instagram and said that there won't be any collaborations on this album.
- Melanie said that the album is set in "a really fucked up place that we can all relate to".
- Melanie stated that there will be a character whose name is a pun on Donald Trump.
- Melanie produced a film that will accompany this album.
- The film is going to be a musical and will replace the music videos.
- Michael Keenan confirmed that the album was complete on January 24th, 2018.
- Melanie said on Twitter that the album will have bonus tracks.
- In an interview with Coup De Main Magazine, Melanie mentioned that some characters will be portrayed with a "weird" low-pitched vocal version of her own voice.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 https://www.instagram.com/p/ByDWlQTAa1R/
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://g1.globo.com/musica/lollapalooza/2017/noticia/melanie-martinez-faz-pop-sombrio-inspirado-em-depressao-e-donald-trump-ele-e-assustador.ghtml
- ↑ http://www.fuse.tv/videos/2016/05/melanie-martinez-interview-fuse-first-next-album
- ↑ http://www.theaquarian.com/2016/03/23/an-interview-with-melanie-martinez-its-her-party/
- ↑ https://lithiummagazine.com/2015/10/27/an-interview-with-melanie-martinez-mod-club-toronto-oct-26-2015-2/
- ↑ https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt8EddMgG-B/
- ↑ https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7904990/melanie-martinez-interview-cry-baby-second-album
- ↑ https://twitter.com/michaelkeenan/status/956267758349565952
|Featured Tracks||Wheels on the Bus • Class Fight • The Principal • Show & Tell • Nurse's Office • Drama Club • Strawberry Shortcake • Lunchbox Friends • Orange Juice • Detention • Teacher's Pet • High School Sweethearts • Recess|
|Credit Track||Fire Drill|
|Characters||Cry Baby • Angelita • Alphabet Boy • Blue Boy • Brandon • Bunny Doctor • Kelly • Lucy • Miss Daphne • Mr. Cornwell|
|Extras||Film • Merchandise • Assignments|
|Locations||K-12 Sleepaway School|