|You are reading the page dedicated to the album. You may have been wanting to read about the song or the character with the same name.|
"Cry Baby", sometimes stylized as "Crybaby", is the debut studio album by Melanie Martinez. It was released on August 14, 2015 by Atlantic Records through digital download, CD, cassette and vinyl. The album debuted in the top 10 on the Billboard Hot 200 albums chart, placing a spot at #6 with 40,000 total copies sold in its first week. It also topped the Billboard Alternative albums chart by dominating at #1. The album was also certified platinum by the RIAA on February 24, 2017.
Melanie's tour, called the Cry Baby Tour, is focused on the album, and began soon after Cry Baby was released. Before this, there were three intimate concerts debuting stripped-down versions of some of the album's songs.
Melanie Martinez began recording for her debut album soon after she was eliminated from The Voice. She had an acoustic EP completely done around 2013 and was ready to put it out, although she decided to delete it. Later, she finished her song Dollhouse and changed her whole sound after discovering how much she liked the song's dark style and themes. She discarded the tracks from that finished EP and began working on some new music.
In January 2014, she confirmed the name of the album.
In May 2014, Melanie put out her debut EP, Dollhouse, and announced that Summer that she hoped to have her album out around October. When October came, Melanie released the video for Carousel and postponed her release date for her album, and stated that she hoped to have it out in the spring.
That spring, Kinetics & One Love announced that all of the vocals for Melanie's album were finished, and Melanie officially announced that her album would be titled "Cry Baby". Melanie began teasing some titles for tracks since.
The first single from her debut album was Pity Party and was confirmed on May 27, 2015. The music video was accidentally leaked by Melanie herself on May 29, 2015 but she later tweeted that she was happy and excited for the fans who had already seen it and promised there was "more to come" during her live stream on June 1, 2015. It was officially released on the day of the live stream.
During the live stream, Melanie announced that the release date of Cry Baby would be in August. She also revealed that it would be available to pre-order soon.
The second single, Soap, was confirmed in late June and it was announced soon before it was to be released on July 10, 2015. The one-shot music video came out the same day.
On July 16, 2015, the album art and release date were leaked on Amazon, although the release date was false. On July 17, the album art was officially revealed and merch bundles were available to pre-order on Melanie's website, with the digital pre-order on July 24. Before the 24, the tracklist of the album was leaked, although the websites that leaked it replaced Tag, You're It with Jump Rope and Play Date with Half Hearted. The tracklist was officially revealed on the 24th with the pre-order.
Starting on July 27, 2015, Melanie released a snippet of each song (apart from the songs on the deluxe edition) on her Instagram. On July 28, 2015, Melanie released the snippet for Sippy Cup and announced that it would be released on July 31. On July 30, 2015, SPIN Magazine premiered the video and Sippy Cup was released the day after.
The album was released on August 14, 2015. The CD was packaged as a storybook, with jewel case CDs available later. Both a picture disk and a standard black vinyl were also released. Cassettes were then released, advertised as being in yellow, blue, and pink. There is also a less common green cassette. All physical copies of the album are the standard explicit, with the deluxe and clean being digital exclusives.
The Cry Baby Coloring Book was released at Barnes & Noble on November 29, 2016.
This album tells the story of Cry Baby, a fantasy version of Melanie Martinez when she was a young toddler, and a representation of her vulnerable and messed-up side. Melanie claims that many of the things that have happened to Cry Baby are similar to the things that have happened in her own life, except where she gets kidnapped and where she kills her kidnapper. Each song on the tracklist is titled something childhood related, while the actual message being crossed to the listener carries more adult-like themes and problems.
The storybook available in the pre-order bundle features rhymes and illustrations based on the album, written by Melanie herself, and the illustrations were drawn by Chloe Tersigni.
- Cry Baby (featured in all videos)
- Mom (featured in Sippy Cup, Cry Baby, and Dollhouse)
- Alphabet Boy (mentioned in Alphabet Boy and featured in Carousel)
- Johnny (featured in Soap, Training Wheels, and mentioned in Pity Party)
- Big Bad Wolf (featured in Tag, You're It and Milk and Cookies)
- Bunny Doctor (featured in Cry Baby, Mrs. Potato Head and Mad Hatter)
- Dad (featured in Sippy Cup and Dollhouse)
- Brother (featured in Cry Baby and Dollhouse)
- Basic Bitch (featured in Pacify Her)
- Blue Boy (featured in Pacify Her)
- Mrs. Potato Head (featured in Mrs. Potato Head)
- Mr. Potato Head (featured in Mrs. Potato Head)
- Rushton Dolls (featured in Mad Hatter)
- Nurse (featured in Cry Baby and Mad Hatter)
- Cashier (featured in Tag, You're It and Mad Hatter)
- Mr. Potato Head's Lover (featured in Mrs. Potato Head)
- Mistress/Slut (mentioned in Dollhouse and featured in Sippy Cup)
- Plastic People (featured in Mad Hatter)
- Cry Baby's house (featured in Cry Baby, Pity Party, Sippy Cup, Tag, You're It, Mrs. Potato Head, and Mad Hatter)
- Big Bad Wolf's house (featured in Milk and Cookies)
- Hospital (featured in Cry Baby, Mrs. Potato Head, and Mad Hatter)
- Carnival (featured in Carousel)
There are 13 tracks on the CD with 3 additional for the deluxe version. More than 40 songs were intended for Cry Baby, but more than half of them did not make it into the album. It was said that the songs on the album tell a story in chronological order. This was confirmed on Melanie's Instagram.
In an interview with TheKnockTurnal, Melanie revealed that would love to have included more songs on the album, but eventually cut them because "I can’t put 30 songs on the album" she said.
Two songs from the Dollhouse EP, Dollhouse and Carousel, were confirmed to be on the album by Jose Martinez, Melanie's father. However, Dead to Me and Bittersweet Tragedy would not appear on the album.
Soap was released on July 10, 2015 and Sippy Cup was released on July 31, 2015.
There is both an explicit version of the album and a clean version.
- "*" = a song that has both explicit and clean versions.
|1.||"Cry Baby"*||Melanie Martinez, Jeremy Dussolliet, Tim Sommers||Kinetics & One Love||3:59|
|2.||"Dollhouse"||Martinez, Dussolliet, Sommers||Kinetics & One Love||3:51|
|3.||"Sippy Cup"*||Martinez, Dussolliet, Sommers||Kinetics & One Love||3:15|
|4.||"Carousel"||Martinez, Dussolliet, Sommers||Kinetics & One Love||3:50|
|5.||"Alphabet Boy"*||Martinez, Dussolliet, Sommers||Kinetics & One Love||4:13|
|6.||"Soap"||Martinez, Emily Warren, Kyle Shearer||Shearer, Daniel Weber||3:29|
|7.||"Training Wheels"*||Martinez, Scott Hoffman||Babydaddy||3:25|
|8.||"Pity Party"||Martinez, CJ Baran, Kara DioGuardi||Baran||3:24|
|9.||"Tag, You're It"||Martinez, Scott Harris, Rick Markowitz||SmarterChild, Michael Miller||3:09|
|10.||"Milk and Cookies"*||Martinez, Dussolliet, Markowitz||SmarterChild, Michael Keenan||3:26|
|11.||"Pacify Her"||Martinez, Chloe Angelides, Keenan||Keenan||3:40|
|12.||"Mrs. Potato Head"||Martinez, Dussolliet, Sommers||Kinetics & One Love||3:37|
|13.||"Mad Hatter"||Martinez, Dussolliet, Bryan Fryzel, Aaron Kleinstub||Frequency, Aalias||3:21|
|14.||"Play Date"*||Martinez, Jennifer Decilveo||Keenan, Decilveo||2:59|
|15.||"Teddy Bear"*||Martinez, Phoebe Ryan, Felix Snow||Snow||4:05|
|16.||"Cake"||Martinez, Baran, DioGuardi||Baran||3:19|
Main article: List of Unreleased Songs
Melanie had recorded many songs between 2013 and 2015 with the intention of including them on this album. This list is of known songs which didn't make the final cut.
- Bold typing indicates that the song, snippets of the song, or lyrics have been leaked/posted/performed at some point.
- Underlined typing indicates that the song's full studio version has been leaked.
- 1st Unknown Song
- 2nd Unknown Song
- 3rd Unknown Song
- 4th Unknown Song
- 5th Unknown Song
- 99 Cent Store
- A Thousand Words
- Band Aid
- Bittersweet Tragedy
- Bombs on Monday Morning
- Dead to Me
- Gold Diggin' Love
- Half Hearted
- I Scream
- King Of The Arcade
- Night Mime
- Psycho Lovers
- Rocking Horse
- Strawberry Fields Forever
- Unhappy Meal
- Where Do Babies Come From?
- You Love I
|1.||Cry Baby||March 14, 2016||6:06|
|2.||Dollhouse||February 9, 2014||4:25|
|3.||Sippy Cup||July 31, 2015||3:21|
|4.||Carousel||October 15, 2014||3:50|
|5.||Alphabet Boy||June 2, 2016||4:20|
|6.||Soap||November 18, 2015||4:24|
|7.||Training Wheels||November 18, 2015||3:49|
|8.||Pity Party||June 1, 2015||3:39|
|9.||Tag, You're It||August 23, 2016||3:14|
|10.||Milk and Cookies||August 23, 2016||3:30|
|11.||Pacify Her||November 15, 2016||3:45|
|12.||Mrs. Potato Head||December 1, 2016||5:32|
|13.||Mad Hatter||September 23, 2017||4:38|
- This is Melanie's first visual album.
- Some of the original album title ideas that didn't make the cut were Animal Crackers, Toy Chest, and Coloring Book.
- Melanie's favorite song on the album is Mrs. Potato Head.
- Alphabet Boy is the longest song on this album, both on the deluxe and standard version, with the song length at 4 minutes and 13 seconds. Tag, You're It is the shortest song on the standard version of the album, lasting for 3 minutes and 9 seconds. Play Date is overall the shortest song on the deluxe version of the album, at 2 minutes and 59 seconds long.
- All songs on the standard album have been certified gold by RIAA. Two songs from the deluxe edition, Cake and Play Date, have also been certified gold, making Teddy Bear the only song on the album that is not certified.
- In some of the physical storybooks, there is a spelling mistake with the word "vulnerable" on the page for Tag, You're It. It is misspelt as "vunerable".
- Later in 2016, Hot Topic released a special pink/white exclusive vinyl.
- There are three different vinyl records of this album.
- The album has surpassed 1.2 billion streams on Spotify.
- The album cover was taken by Lissy Laricchia.
- In an interview with the TikTok Summer Songwriting Academy, Melanie stated that she 'wanted Cry Baby to have a film attached to it' along the lines of how K-12 was made.
- As of December 3, 2020, Melanie set most of the official audios on YouTube as "unlisted", those audios being Cry Baby, Soap, Pacify Her, Mad Hatter, Dollhouse, Sippy Cup, Carousel, and Pity Party.
- The album was supposed to be 30 songs but later half of them got scrapped due to it being too much for an album.
|Featured Tracks||Cry Baby • Dollhouse • Sippy Cup • Carousel • Alphabet Boy • Soap • Training Wheels • Pity Party • Tag, You're It • Milk and Cookies • Pacify Her • Mrs. Potato Head • Mad Hatter|
|Bonus Tracks||Play Date • Teddy Bear • Cake|
|Characters||Cry Baby • Johnny • Alphabet Boy • Big Bad Wolf • Mom • Dad • Brother • Little Girl • Beth Anne • Mistress • Cashier • Blonde Girl • Blue Boy • Bunny Doctor • Mrs. Potato Head • Mr. Potato Head • Nurse • Rushton Dolls|
|Extras||Digital Booklet • Removed Songs • Merchandise|
|Locations||Cry Baby's House • Big Bad Wolf's House • Grocery Store • Carnival • Hospital|