"After School" is the fourth extended play by Melanie Martinez. It was released on September 25th, 2020 by Atlantic Records through digital download, vinyl and CD exclusively in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Italy, Germany, the U.K and Russia. The EP is also featured on streaming platforms as a Deluxe edition of K-12.
In an interview with V Magazine, Melanie stated that she would release songs that were in-line with K-12, but was "more personal and more vulnerable".
When the K-12 Tour began, fans began to speculate that Melanie would be releasing an EP because the image displayed on the video screen during Fire Drill would show a pink composition notebook with the words "After School" written on the front.
On December 6, 2019, during the concert at O2 City Hall in Newcastle, England, Melanie announced that Fire Drill would be officially released at some point in 2020. It was later confirmed through Melanie's Instagram story that the song would be a track on After School.
On January 20 and January 21, 2020, fans reported hearing Melanie rehearsing an unknown song, now confirmed to be Test Me among others. However, she did not perform any of these songs during her concerts.
On February 6, 2020, an interview was released where Melanie stated that she intended to release Fire Drill by the end of the month; however, it was later released on June 26, 2020. She also scrapped one track from the EP, although she later confirmed in a Beats 1 interview that the EP would remain with seven tracks.
On February 9, 2020, Melanie confirmed through her Instagram story that the EP would be out in spring, but it was pushed back to September 25, and that a song featuring "one of [her] favorite artists" would be coming out "sooner than you think". The next day, she released a single titled Copy Cat, featuring Tierra Whack.
On August 31, 2020, Melanie posted on Instagram and liked a comment theorizing the release being September 25th, or sometime during Libra season (Sept. 23rd - Oct. 22nd). This has lead fans to theorize whether she is hinting at a release around that time.
Then, on September 15, 2020, Melanie posted a surrealist photo of her in a giant nest with two eggs on Instagram, with a caption reading; "Holdin’ onto these eggs till they're ready to be hatched next week.", causing fans to believe that the EP would be released the next week.
On September 22, 2020, Martinez posted a song snippet on her Tik Tok account, (littlebodybigheart), as well as a video clip teaser, for the song entitled The Bakery, the 7th track on the EP, produced by Blake Slatkin and written by herself, about her experience of her getting fired from a job she had at a bakery when she was younger.
In an interview with Idolator, Melanie expressed interest in making a music video for Test Me, saying that she wrote a video treatment and that "it all depends on how much people connect with it/stream [the song]."
According to Melanie, the EP follows the story elements that are present in her sophomore album, K-12; however, the songs are more personal to Melanie rather than relating to her character, Cry Baby.
|2.||"Test Me"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||2:55|
|3.||"Brain & Heart"||Martinez, Keenan, Fred Jerkins III, Jennifer Lopez, LaShawn Daniels, Mark Rooney, Rodney Jerkins||Keenan||3:24|
|6.||"Field Trip"||Martinez, Keenan||Keenan||3:01|
|7.||"The Bakery"||Martinez, Blake Slatkin||Slatkin||2:33|
Bold typing indicates that the song, snippets of the song, or lyrics have been leaked/posted/performed at some point.
Underlined typing indicates that the song's full studio version has been leaked or released as a stand-alone single.
|No.||Title||Release Date of Music Video||Length of Music Video|
|1.||The Bakery||September 25, 2020||2:40|
First Q&A (January 8, 2020)
On January 8, 2020, Melanie did a Q&A regarding the EP on her Instagram story. Questions about the EP can be found below.
Second Q&A (July 24, 2020)
On July 24, 2020, Melanie did a second Q&A regarding the EP on her Instagram story about the tracks. Questions about the EP can be found below.
- There are multiple outtakes from the EP.
- Glued and Field Trip were almost cut before Martinez decided not to.
- This EP and K-12 are listed on streaming services as K-12 (After School - Deluxe Edition).
- Originally, Melanie scrapped Copy Cat, leaving the EP with six tracks, as she thought seven was "too much for an EP". However, she later stated in an interview with Beats 1 that the EP would have seven tracks again, as she wrote a new song February 24, 2020, which replaced Copy Cat. The new song was later confirmed to be The Bakery.
- One of the songs was confirmed to be about a breakup. This was later confirmed to be Notebook.
- Melanie plans to make music videos for multiple songs on this project. Originally, Melanie was additionally going to make a music video for the song Play Date as a result of the song's rising popularity on TikTok, but she began to create a music video for The Bakery instead.
- Melanie has revealed the her favorite lyrics from the EP are from Brain & Heart.
- This is Melanie's second EP since Dollhouse, that does not include songs already released from a previous project or remixes.
- The Bakery is produced by Blake Slatkin, being the only track on the EP not produced by Michael Keenan.
- Notebook is the shortest track on After School, with the song length at 2:31.
- Numbers is the longest song on After School, with the song length at 4:39.
- Brain & Heart and Test Me are the only non-explicit songs on the EP.
- Being a surprise release with little promotion, the EP debuted at #73 on Billboard Hot 200.
- In an interview with The Knockturnal Melanie revealed the meaning behind the cover.
- The bubblegum is a symbolic ode to the end scene of K-12 where Cry Baby and Ben blow spit bubbles.
- She wanted to be sitting at a desk because she feels like After School is more so about the real-life lessons she has learned and been applying to her life. So she wanted it to feel like she was sitting at a desk absorbing what life had to teach her.
- Her cut off head is symbolic for what it feels like when you are learning such challenging things in life. "You feel like a chicken with your head cut off scrambling to find the solutions to the issues at hand."
- The full EP's official instrumentals' leaked on December 9th, 2020.
- Apart from Brain & Heart's, which leaked the day before.
|Featured Tracks||Notebook • Test Me • Brain & Heart • Numbers • Glued • Field Trip • The Bakery|
|Cut Songs||Copy Cat (ft. Tierra Whack) • Fire Drill|
|Producers||Blake Slatkin • Melanie Martinez (exec.) • Michael Keenan|
|Related||K-12 • Merchandise|