The 2nd Studio Album will be the sophomore album and second major-label record by Melanie Martinez. Melanie started working on this album in 2015 and finished it in early 2017. It was originally set to be released in the fall of 2017 and January of 2018, However, it was then pushed back to early 2019.
It is currently expected to be released at the end of summer 2019. The standard version of the album is set to have a total of 13 songs.
The album's working concept is that it will be set in a town, and will be told from Cry Baby's perspective. According to Melanie, it will be Cry Baby stepping outside of her family life and love life and acting like a narrator for the album. The title of the album is the name of a particular place in Cry Baby's town/neighborhood.
Cry Baby will be introducing new characters, but she should appear on the album at some point. According to Melanie, "You’re not learning about her, you’re learning about the place that she’s in and her perspective".
Bold typing indicates that the full song has been leaked. Italics indicate lyrics are available, either partially or completely.
- Another Man (Itch Cover)
- Class Clown
- Drama Club
- I Scream
- Jimmy Tells
- Paper People
- Silence Says
- Unhappy Meal
Melanie has posted two photos on Instagram with lyrics on both captions, revealing two songs that will be on the second album. She posted one on April 13th, 2016, and another one on May 17th, 2016.
- This will be Melanie's second visual album.
- Melanie has said on Twitter that any rumors of titles, collaborations, or anything regarding this album are all fake. She has since deleted this tweet.
- Melanie confirmed that none of her unreleased songs would be on her next studio album because the album "has too specific of a theme".
- Melanie said on Instagram that this album has a completely different style of music from Cry Baby.
- Melanie stated in an interview the album will be more hip-hop-like than her other music.
- Melanie has also stated that she will be experimenting with vintage squeak toys.
- Melanie told a fan that this album will be much darker than her previous album.
- Melanie confirmed that there would be a tour in 2019 to go along with this album.
- Shows in this tour will have intermissions and choreography that will reflect the album's story.
- Melanie has talked about several of the songs within interviews.
- She once mentioned that it is possible something good finally happens to Cry Baby.
- There might also be a song flashing back to Tag, You're It.
- There will be a song about friends in school that didn't actually want a close connection at all.
- There will be a song about how your mental health is important to maintain.
- Fans have theorized that this song could be Class Clown. However, the actual validity of the song is currently unknown.
- Melanie once responded to a fan on Instagram and said that there won't be any collaborations on this album.
- Melanie said that the album is set in "a really fucked up place that we can all relate to".
- Melanie stated that there will be a character whose name is a pun on Donald Trump.
- Melanie said that she will produce a film that will accompany this album.
- The film is going to be a musical and will replace the music videos.
- The film will be a mixture of horror and drama.
- Melanie has confirmed that the filming process is done, however it will take a few months for it to be released along with the album.
- The film will be produced by Tyler Zelinsky.
- According to an interview that G1 did with Melanie, she has already recorded the songs for her second album.
- A song titled Banana Well was speculated to be a song for this album, however, Melanie later denied it.
- An album titled Bluffington was added to Melanie's page on Amazon, however, it was quickly deleted. It is rumored that this is the album's title.
- Fans speculate that the lead single is Blossoming due to Melanie's various posts all having something to do with flowers, such as covering something with a flower emoji, and posting a drawing of flowers.
- In an interview with Coup De Main Magazine, Melanie mentioned that some characters will be portrayed with a "weird" low-pitched vocal version of her own voice.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://g1.globo.com/musica/lollapalooza/2017/noticia/melanie-martinez-faz-pop-sombrio-inspirado-em-depressao-e-donald-trump-ele-e-assustador.ghtml
- ↑ http://www.fuse.tv/videos/2016/05/melanie-martinez-interview-fuse-first-next-album
- ↑ http://www.theaquarian.com/2016/03/23/an-interview-with-melanie-martinez-its-her-party/
- ↑ https://lithiummagazine.com/2015/10/27/an-interview-with-melanie-martinez-mod-club-toronto-oct-26-2015-2/
- ↑ https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7904990/melanie-martinez-interview-cry-baby-second-album
- ↑ https://twitter.com/michaelkeenan/status/956267758349565952